The McGulpin Point Lighthouse is situated on 11.5 acres located off Headlands Rd. This acreage includes 336 feet of shoreline on Lake Michigan. McGulpin Point lighthouse was built in 1869 to help guide ships through the straits. It was decommissioned in 1906 when it was no longer needed as a lighthouse, at which time it went into private ownership.
Emmet County purchased the property in 2008 due to its historical value for Emmet County residents. The lighthouse and surrounding property is being renovated and now open to the public. A caretaker’s residence is also located on the property. A self guided cell phone tour, detailing points of interest, is available as well as public programs.